- No Museum or Art History experience required
- Volunteer Any Day of the Week
- Behind-the-Scenes Access
- Never Stop Learning
The Getty Center and the Getty Villa are looking for passionate and socially engaged new docents to inspire a love of art in the Museum’s K-12 students and adult visitors. Docents at both sites shape memorable experiences for guests by bringing their own unique experiences and backgrounds to the Getty. The Docent Program is committed to the ideals of generosity, inclusivity, truth, and the belief that the docent corps should be representative of the great diversity of the city of Los Angeles. You do not need an art degree or any artistic training to be a docent. All you need is a passion to connect visitors with the visual arts through shared gallery experiences.
The Docent Program is designed to be flexible, with a variety of opportunities every day of the week at both the Getty Center and the Getty Villa. We ask that docents commit to between 8 and 16 hours per month in 4 hour shifts. Each docent receives personal, hands-on training from Getty experts in the both classroom and gallery settings, and is supported with on-going opportunities to learn and grow as teachers.
Applicants can select from one of three programs at either site, Getty Center or Getty Villa. Currently, there are openings in the following programs:
School Group Docents engage K-12 students in the Museum’s galleries, inspiring dialogue and the exchange of ideas to make works of art come to life.
School Group Docent shifts at both sites are Monday – Friday from 9:00a – 1:00p
- Training for Getty Center School Group Docents begins Saturday, September 29, 2018, taking place once a week through March, 2019.
- Training for Getty Villa School Group Docents begins Thursday, October 4, 2018, taking place once a week through March, 2019.
General Public Gallery Docents explore the paintings, sculpture, decorative arts, and antiquities in the Museum’s collections, welcoming visitors to explore their own experiences through art
- General Public Gallery Docent shifts at the Getty Center are Tuesday – Sunday from 10:30a – 2:30p, with an evening shift on Saturdays from 3:30p – 7:30p. Once-a-week training for Getty Center Gallery Docents begins Saturday, September 29, 2018.
- General Public Gallery Docent shifts at the Getty Villa are Wednesday – Monday from 10:30a – 2:30p. Once-a-week training for Getty Villa Gallery Docents begins Thursday, October 4, 2018.
General Public Site Docents investigate the exterior works of art at the Getty, guiding visitors through the unique architecture and gardens of the Museum.
- General Public Site Docent shifts at the Getty Center are Tuesday – Sunday from 9:30a – 1:30p or 1:30p – 5:30p. Once-a-week training for Getty Center Site Docents begins Saturday, September 29, 2018.
Questions? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.