Note: The town of Melk is located at the confluence of the Melk and Danube rivers in northeastern Austria. Originating as a Roman garrison, it was one of the earliest residences of Austrian ruling house of Babenberg, from 976 to 1101. In 1111, its castle and neighboring lands were given to the large Benedictine Abbey founded there in 1089. The town and the Abbey were plundered by Turks in 1683, but rebuilt between 1702 and 1736 in the Baroque style. It also has a Late Gothic church and some fine Renaissance houses. The area surrounding the town is noted for its wines.