III. Roman-Period Clay Lamps / Types from both Western and Eastern Provinces of the Roman Empire / Augustan and Imperial Lamps

Loeschcke type I B = Bailey type A groups ii, iii, iv

The lamps of this type differ from those of Loeschcke type I A mainly by the absence of the V-shaped channel between the discus and the nozzle. According to Loeschcke and his well-known figure 1 reproduced in most catalogues (see fig. 1), the nozzle in type I B is supposed to be bigger than in type I A. This is not always the case for the nozzles of the Getty specimens of the two types. All their shoulders, except one, are flat early forms, either decorated with rills (8 ex.), or belonging to Loeschcke forms I (2 ex.), II a, or II b (5 ex.) of Augustan to Tiberian times, or to forms III a or III a var. (18 ex.) of Claudian to Early Flavian times. Only one lamp, cat. 118, has a rounded shoulder (Loeschcke form VII b) while still preserving a raised base-ring, as does about 70 percent of the total number of type I B lamps; base-rings indicate an early date. The remaining 30 percent have a flat base marked off by one circular groove. Only four lamps have a handle: cats. 90 and 115–17. Out of thirty-five examples of the type, sixteen have mythological topics and five relate to gladiators. The rest, represented by one, two, or three examples each, deal with the circus, the army, animals, plants, or erotic or daily scenes. Loeschcke type I B is dated by Bailey from Late Augustan to Early Flavian times.