Date: Friday, March 28, 2008
Time: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. with gallery tour and reception to follow
Location: Getty Villa, Meeting Rooms
Registration is now closed. For questions, please contact Kelli O'Leary at 310-440-7568.
Intended for mountmaking professionals, this one-day program will address principles, applications, and research in the field of mountmaking for art objects. Eleven papers will be presented, ranging in topic from material choices to structural and aesthetic design.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Howard Clemenko (Smithsonian Institution)
- BJ Farrar and David Armendariz (J. Paul Getty Museum)
- Jamie Hascall (New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs)
- Kathan Lynch (Winterthur Museum)
- Jack Mackey and Gordon Lambert (Seattle Art Museum)
- Mark Mitton and Adrienne Pamp (J. Paul Getty Museum)
- Steve Osborne (Denver Art Museum)
- Frederick Sager (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Peter Schilling (Harvard University Art Museums)
- James Storm (Detroit Institute of Arts)
- Shelly Uhlir (National Museum of the American Indian)
Since there are no current registries or organizations of professionals representing those who do this type of work, this forum provides an opportunity to informally begin a network with the goal of growing this affiliation. Advances in the field will benefit all when there is an opportunity to share in such developments, and thus be better able to protect art objects.
Download a current schedule (PDF, 32KB)
—updated January 31, 2008.
For further information or to ask questions about this forum, please e-mail VillaPrograms@getty.edu.
Tour for Forum Participants
A tour of the decorative arts & sculpture conservation labs at the Getty Center is available on Thursday, March 27 at 3:00 p.m. to those attending the forum. To make an appointment or for further information, please contact Adrienne Pamp at APamp@getty.edu.
How to Get Here
The Getty Villa is located at 17985 Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California, approximately 25 miles west of downtown Los Angeles. See Hours, Directions, Parking for directions and parking information.