Note: The city of Ludwigsburg is located on the Neckar River just north of Stuttgart in southwestern Germany. Founded by the Duke of Württemberg in the early 18th century, the town surrounds the ducal palace, the largest Baroque castle in Germany. Ludwigsburg was famous for the manufacture of porcelain; the famous Ludwigsburg faience and porcelain earthenware was made there between 1736 and 1824. The city now also produces musical instruments, textiles, machinery, and iron and wire products. The 2004 estimated population was 88,100.