Note: The city of Detmold is situated on the Werre river in the Teutoburg Forest in the district of Detmold in the northwestern German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It was once the capital of the principality of Lippe, and was chartered around 1350. Nearby is a 188-foot high sculpture by Ernst von Bandel commemorating the victory of the Germans (Cherusci) under Arminius (Hermann) over the Romans under Varus in 9 BCE. Detmold, then known as Theotmalli, was also the site of the battle between Charlemagne and the Saxons in 783. The town was an important medieval and Renaissance center, and has two residences of former rulers of Lippe-Detmold: a Renaissance chateau built in 1550, and the New Palace built in 1708-1718 and enlarged in 1850. The New Palace now houses the North West German Academy of Music and the state museum. The primary economic activity is furniture making. The estimated population reported for 2004 was 73,800.