Note: A royal mint was established here in the 10th century and remained in operation until Henry II's reign (1154-1189). The town's royal charter dates from the 12th century. It was the county town (seat) of Somerset from the 14th to the 19th century. Of the medieval town's seven parish churches, only St. Mary Major remains. The population as of 1991 was 1,733.