Note: Former county of South Wales, created in 1974 from part of Glamorgan; its administrative centrer was Swansea. In 1996 it was abolished and replaced by the new county of Swansea and the county borough of Neath and Port Talbot. Within the former county was the industrial complex of Swansea Bay and the hills and valleys of southern Wales coalfield and Gower peninsula. The area was occupied by the Romans and Normans. Copper and lead mining began in 18th century, and steel and tinplate industries in 19th century; Llandarcy oil refinery opened in 1921.