Note: Established on a plot of reclaimed land, created by draining the mouth of the Rotte river in 1283. Developed as a fishing village in the 13th century. Canal to the Schie was dug in 1340s and it became major port of province. A sea route to Indies encouraged commerce in 17th century. Town center was completely destroyed by bombs on May 14 1940.