Note: Village that on the site of a ruined Norman castle with a great square keep. Located in the middle of a 12-acre circular earthwork with a surrounding ditch with a depth of over 100 feet. In the Middle Ages the village stood on the edge of the fenland and had easy access to the sea; it was a major salt-producing center until the sea retreated. Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, was the landholder in 1086, but after he rebelled against his half-brother, William the Conqueror, the estate passed to the king's butler, William d'Albini. D'Albini's family built the castle and his descendants presided over village affairs up into the 20th century. The village features the church of St. Lawrence which is rich in late Norman decoration as well as Jacobean almshouses.