Note: Beaugency is one of the pilgrimage sites on route to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, home of the shrine dedicated to Saint James, the patron saint of Spain. The symbol of Saint James, the scalloped shell, became the primary symbol representing pilgrims. French pilgrimage routes to Compostela tend to follow old Roman roads, many of which continued to be utilized as primary roads of communication during the Middle Ages. Beaugency lies on the right bank of the Loire River. It was an important bridge crossing of the Loire, and the town's restored 13th-century bridge is still in use. Beaugency was under the control of the English four times during the Hundred Years' War and was delivered by Joan of Arc in 1429. Beaugency was burned by the Protestants in 1567. Beaugency manufactures bedding and automobile seats. Located in Beaugency is the former abbey church of Notre-Dame and the former Church of Saint-Étienne.