Reproductions and Permissions
Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Getty Research Institute.
Terms Governing Reproductions or Publication of Quotes from the Getty Research Institute (GRI) Collections
1. Written permission must be obtained from the Getty Research Institute (GRI), an operating program of The J. Paul Getty Trust (the "Trust") to cite or publish quotes from or of the GRI's collections. The GRI will not permit citation or publication of quotes for advertising or promotional purposes.
2. Quotes appearing in GRI objects, even if such objects are owned by the GRI, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, or related interests that are not owned by the GRI. The GRI is not giving permission to exploit any third party rights. The Applicant will ascertain whether any such rights exist, pay any royalties or fees claimed by any third party and obtain all other permission required to carry out Applicant's activities without infringing the proprietary rights of, breaching a duty to, or breaching an agreement with, any third party. Applicant will indemnify, defend, and hold the GRI harmless from all costs, charges, fees, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), losses, damages, liabilities, or judgments arising from or relating to any claim, cause, or allegation asserted by a third party against the GRI based entirely or in part on Applicant's exploitation of the Quote(s) licensed hereunder.
3. Permission is granted only for one usage in the Publication in one edition and in one language. Additional language editions and other derivative works based on the Publication must be separately licensed.
4. The permission and license granted herein is for citation and publication of the Quote(s) in written formats only. The GRI does not otherwise grant permission to reproduce or process any Quote(s) in any other format, and such permission must be separately obtained in writing.
5. The credit line and any copyright notice that appears on the front of this Application must appear in a footnote or immediately at the end of the Quote.
6. The GRI reserves the right to limit the number of Quote(s) from GRI-owned property in any single publication if it appears that their number is disproportionate in relation to those from other sources.
7. No license or permission granted pursuant to this Application may be assigned by Applicant. This Application and any attached and cross-referenced pages sets forth the entire agreement of the GRI and Applicant regarding the Quote(s) identified on the front of this Application, and supercedes all prior promises, representations, or statements of any kind, whether written or oral. This Application may only be modified in writing signed by the authorized representative of the GRI and expressly stating its intention to modify this Application. This Application will be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflicts of laws principles. All litigation arising under or relating to this Application will be filed and prosecuted in any court of competent subject matter jurisdiction in the City of Los Angeles, California. Applicant consents to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for such purpose.
8. The citation or publication permission granted hereby is limited to a nonexclusive citation or publication license solely on the terms set forth herein. The GRI retains all copyright ownership and all rights to exploit its copyrights. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to the GRI. If reproduction is to be made from materials depicting the GRI's property, but not supplied by the GRI, the GRI reserves the right to approve these materials.
9. Applicant will obtain the GRI's prior written approval of final presentation of Quote(s) prior to general distribution or publication of the Publication where the Quote(s) is to be used on the cover of the Publication. Such approval will not be unreasonably withheld, and will be based upon the presentation of the Quote as regards color, placement with images and/or other text, etc.
10. Applicant will defend, indemnify, and hold the GRI harmless from all claims, causes and allegations (whether threatened or pending) costs, fees and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), awards, judgments, damages, losses and liabilities arising from or relating to any breach of this Application by Applicant or the officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, representatives contractors and subcontractors of Applicant.