Note: The town of Bayreuth in Bavaria developed around the castle of the counts Andechs-Meran in the 11th century. It passed to the Hohenzollerns in 1248 and became the capital of Upper Franconia; and was the residence of the margraves from 1603 to 1791 when it was ceded to Prussia. In 1810 it was ceded to Bavaria. It is famed around the world as the home of the summer festival of Wagnerian opera. The 2004 estimaed population was 74,600.