Born in Paris, the son of a master mason, Jean Raon is best known for his classicizing sculptures at Versailles. First trained by his father, in 1666 Raon went to Rome to study art as a pensionnaire, attending the Académie de France at the king's expense in the newly developed program of foreign study supported by the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture. After three years studying the antiquities of Rome, he returned to France to work at Versailles. Raon was continuously employed by Louis XIV to work on Charles Le Brun's grand program of sculpture, architecture, and landscaping until 1699. He worked not only at Versailles but also at the royal buildings in Clagny, Marly, and Meudon, as well as at the Church des Invalides. Raon became a member of the Académie Royale in 1672 and was given the title of professor at the Académie in 1690. In his later years he divided his time between teaching and working on sculpture for the royal residences.