Note: Located a junction of rivers Don and Rother. The fort at nearby Scholeswood is probably prehistoric. The boys of the grammar school here unsucessfully helped to defend the bridge against Royalist troops in 1643. The town expanded rapidly with the foundation of ironworks in 1746 and in the 19th century it became part of the industrial trade route with Sheffield and Mexborough. Today's industry dominated by steelworks and engineering.