Note: The city of Fulda is located on the Fulda River between the Vogelberg and the Rhön Mountains. The settlement grew up around an abbey founded in 744 by a disciple of St. Boniface. The town became a great medieval seat of learning and culture, and also a missionary center. In 1157 the town was granted a charter, and the abbots became princes of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1752 the abbots were granted the rank of prince-bishops, however the bishopric was secularized in 1802. The city was annexed by Prussia from 1866 and went to Hessen in the early 20th century. Most of its notable buildings are in the Baroque style, including the cathedral with its crypt of St. Boniface, the former bishop's palace, now the city hall and museum, and the Orangery. The church of St. Michael dates from 820. Banking and other financial businesses are at the heart of the Fulda economy. Clothing and textiles are the major manufactures. The 2004 estimated population was 63,100.