Note: A flat coral atoll in the SW Pacific; it is uninhabited. It was first discovered in 1822 by a whaler named George B. Worth and named Worth Island. In 1828 it was visited by Capt. Daniel Smith and in 1842 it was renamed by Capt. George E. Nethcher for his ship's lookout, Mr. Howland, who first sighted the island from the New Bedford Whaler. It was originally claimed by USA to harvest guano deposits; it now serves as important haven for migratory birds.