Note: Austrian Silesia was the part of the general area called Silesia that remained in Austrian hands after 1763. The rich farming and mining area lies south of Prussian Silesia. It contains the sources of the Oder and Moravia rivers. Originally part of Moravia, it became a separate crown land of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1849. Czechoslovakia gained the larger part of it by the Treaty of Versailles in 1919. Germany seized it 1938, and then it was returned to Czechoslovakia in 1945. It is now part of the Czech Republic.