Note: The town of Nordhorn is located on the Vechte River at the conjunction of four canals, some four miles from the border with the Netherlands in the Weser-Ems district of the northwestern German state of Lower Saxony. First mentioned around 900, it received its charter around 1379. It underwent plagues, fires, and wars in the Middle Ages and much of the old town was destroyed. Only part of the abbey founded there in 1394 and the Protestant church built in the 1400s remain. The modern town is noted for the production of textiles. The 2004 estimated population was 52,800.