Note: Dendermonde is a town located at the confluence of the Dender and Schelde Rivers in the Belgian province of Oost-Vlaanderen. Throughout its history it served as a garrison town variously for Austrian, French, Dutch, German, and Belgian troops, and also was besieged many times. The town repulsed a siege of Louis XIV in 1667 by opening its dikes. The Duke of Marlborough took it in 1706. It suffered much looting and destruction in the German invasion of September, 1914. Its main industry is textile production. The 2003 population was estimated at 43,300.