Note: The town of Donegal in County Donegal in the northwestern Republic of Ireland is located at head of Donegal Bay and the mouth of the Eask River. It was the ancient seat of the O'Donnell clan, who ruled County Donegal from 400 CE to 1603. Hugh O'Donnell founded a Franciscan monastery there in 1474, and its ruins still exist south of the town. Donegal Castle was strengthened in 1610. An early history of the world, the Annals of Donegal, was written here between 1632 and 1636. A busy seaport and market town, Donegal is famous for its handmade tweed and the beautiful landscape around the town.