Reproductions and Permissions
Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Getty Research Institute.
Terms Governing Reproductions or Electronic Publication of Images/Videos/Films from the Getty Research Institute (GRI) Collections
1. Written permission must be obtained from the Getty Research Institute (GRI), an operating program of The J. Paul Getty Trust (the "Trust") to reproduce or electronically publish images/videos/films from the GRI's collections. The GRI will not permit reproduction for advertising or promotional purposes.
2. Objects appearing in GRI images/videos/films, even if such objects are owned by the GRI, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, or related interests that are not owned by the GRI. The GRI is not giving permission to exploit any third party rights. The Applicant will ascertain whether any such rights exist, pay any royalties or fees claimed by any third party and obtain all other permissions required to carry out Applicant's activities without infringing the proprietary rights of, breaching a duty to, or breaching an agreement with, any third party. Applicant will indemnify, defend, and hold the GRI harmless from all costs, charges, fees, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), losses, damages, liabilities, or judgments arising from or relating to any claim, cause, or allegation asserted by a third party against the GRI arising from or relating to Applicant's exploitation of the image/video/film licensed hereunder.
3. Permission is granted only for one Production in one language and one edition. Additional language editions, works including subtitles, and other derivative works based on the Production or Electronic Publication must be separately licensed.
4. The permission and license granted herein is for analog versions of the Production or Electronic Publication only. Applicant may only make digital copies as absolutely necessary in intermediate process steps to the creation of a video, film, or electronic publication published exclusively in analog format. The GRI does not otherwise grant permission to reproduce or process any image/video/film(s) in any digital format, and such permission must be separately obtained in writing.
5. Duplicates may not be made of photographic materials supplied by the GRI without the GRI's prior written approval. Any duplicates are the property of the GRI and will be immediately provided to the GRI by Applicant.
6. Each image/video/film must appear in the Production or Electronic Publication unaltered and in its entirety unless approved in writing by the GRI.
7. Except as described below, the credit line and any copyright notice that appears on the front of this Application must appear on the credits page. If the GRI's images/videos/films would be the only one(s) in the Production giving the full information in one of the above-stated locations, then the Applicant may list only the artist's name, title of work, and date. However, the complete documentation must appear elsewhere within the Production or Electronic Publication.
8. No license or permission granted pursuant to this Application may be assigned by Applicant. This Application and any attached and cross-referenced pages sets forth the entire agreement of the GRI and Applicant regarding the images/videos/films identified on the front of this Application, and supercedes all prior promises, representations, or statements of any kind, whether written or oral. This Application may only be modified in writing signed by the authorized representative of the GRI and expressly stating its intention to modify this Application. This Application will be governed by the law of the State of California without regard to its conflicts of laws principles. All litigation arising under or relating to this Application will be filed and prosecuted in any court of competent subject matter jurisdiction in the City of Los Angeles, California. Applicant consents to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for such purpose.
9. The reproduction permission granted hereby is limited to a nonexclusive reproduction license solely on the terms set forth herein. The GRI retains all copyright ownership and all rights to exploit its copyrights. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to the GRI. If a reproduction is to be made from materials depicting the GRI's property, but not supplied by the GRI, the GRI reserves the right to approve these materials.
10. Applicant will obtain the GRI's prior written approval of final presentation of images/videos/films prior to general distribution of the Production or Electronic Publication. Such approval will not be unreasonably withheld, and will be based upon the presentation of the Image/Video/Film as regards color, cropping, sound, placement with other images/videos/films, etc.
11. Applicant will defend, indemnify, and hold the GRI harmless from all claims, causes and allegations (whether threatened or pending) costs, fees and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), awards, judgments, damages, losses and liabilities arising from or relating to any breach of this Application by Applicant or the officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, representatives contractors and subcontractors of Applicant.