Transition planning grants are aimed at strengthening non-profit visual arts organizations in New Orleans as they respond to the changing environment for the arts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The goal of these grants is to contribute to longer-term organizational effectiveness and realization of an organization's mission, rather than to short-term "band-aid" solutions. Projects that address mission, audience, program delivery, staffing, governance, leadership, marketing, communications, and/or resource development are eligible for consideration. Support is also available for feasibility studies for mergers and other restructuring efforts. Collaboration among organizations is encouraged.
Nonprofit visual arts institutions open to the public on a regular basis are eligible to apply. Eligible costs include consultant fees, project-related travel, training, materials, and in some cases limited operating expenses. Capital construction costs, retiring debt, covering deficits, and endowments are not eligible costs.
Please submit a preliminary letter of inquiry to determine eligibility. The letter (maximum three pages) should include the following:
- a short overview of your organization including mission, staffing, program, and audience pre- and post-Katrina;
- a brief description of the impact the current economic environment has had on your organization and any priorities you have established post-Katrina;
- a brief description of the need(s) or organizational
issue(s) you would address, including goals and objectives;
- a description of proposed participants (i.e. board, staff, consultants, community leaders, etc.);
- estimate of the amount of financial support being requested; and
- a brief explanation on the nonprofit, charitable, or tax-exempt status of the applicant organization.
Application Availability and Deadline
Organizations interested in submitting an application should submit preliminary letters as soon as possible. If a project described in a preliminary letter is eligible for consideration, the organization will be invited to apply and will be sent the necessary application forms.
Please address inquiries to:
Attn: Fund for New Orleans
The Getty Foundation
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1685
Phone: (310) 440-7320
Fax (inquiries only): (310) 440-7703