Re: Anyone have a "George Segal" Sculpture lesson?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:18:31 -0400

ARTNSOUL12 wrote:

> Hi, fellow art educators! I am thinking about inspiring my 5th graders to
> create a George Segel-style lifesize figure in plastercraft(the plaster
> impregnated gauze that you wet, mold and that hardens as it dries). Once my
> 6th graders created an Egyptian Sarcofficus by covering a volunteer in the
> class with plastercraft. The model was lying on his back, so the form was
> only the front half of the model. I'm thinking about 2x4s and chicken wire
> for this full-figure armature. Does anyone have any other ideas for a sturdy
> and relatively easy to make lifesize armature? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated! Thanks, Sue.

How about making an armature from wood? You can wrap newspaper around
it and then cover it with the gauze strips. Personally, I don't think
making anything life size is "easy."

Ricki