Re: clay in the preschool

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:50:13 -0400

Ashley Purser wrote:

> This is my first year teaching Pre-first and Kindergarten. I am getting
> ready to let them begin to explore with clay. I am not sure if I should
> let them explore the medium and make it more of an exploration day or if I
> should make it more structured by giving them a final product as pinch
> pots. We will have the opportunity to work in this medium a lot
> throughout the year. If anyone has any thoughts or good lesson plans I
> would greatly appreciate it!
>
> Thank you,
> Ashley Purser

The more experience the better. I would probably let them feel,
pinch, roll etc. for a month or so- depends how often and how many
at a time and then after that then I would
try to make something with them. Last year I had my preschoolers
make clay suns ( with added features and texture) out of red clay,
They were so adorable (can I say that?). I just love how much freer
preschoolers are than school age children are with the medium!
Sandra

astroboy