RE: behavior

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Julie Brady (jbrady)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:03:03 -0500 (EST)

Lisa Skeen wrote:
>I canNOT think of any consequence
>bad enough that they would care about. They don't care if I take their
>recess away, they don't care if I call their parents, and they don't
>care if they have to go to the principal's office; all he does is talk
>to them anyway.

Lisa,

I had a class like this. Here is what I did and it worked pretty well. I
started out the class by immediately briefly explaining a really fun
project that created a really cool product in the end.
These students were in fourth grade, so we did name designs. I showed them
how to transform the lines in the letters of thier name into objects they
like (skateboards, candy bars, etc.) to create a really neat "graffitti"
type effect. I showed them one I did with my name made into things that
would interest them. While I was explaining the project, I did not stop
for misbehaviors, I just winked at each misbehaving student and made a
mental note of who they were. Once my short explanation was over, I listed
off the names of the disruptive students during the intro. I told them
" you will sit at the table at the other side of the room while the rest of
us work. when you decide that you can follow procedures, you can join us."
The table for them had newsprint and short, stubby dull pencils with no
erasers. I gathered the remaining students in a group and brought out my
best markers, oil pastels, colored pencils, etc. and began working with
them. I made sure we had a REALLY GOOD time - laughing a lot and producing
great work. If anyone started goofing off in our group, they had to go to
the dull pencil table. At first, I thought it was back firing on me. The
table at the other side of the room became very rowdy, but I stuck my
ground and ignored them and really had a ball with the project. After
being ignored for a while, they quieted down a bit, and slowly, one by one,
a few students would come over and peek at what we were doing that was so
much fun. I always invited them to join us, but the minute they were
disruptive they were out. This took a few classes to really take effect,
but each day I saw my dull pencil table dwindle. I feel that the best way
to try to reach these students is through humor and fun (with some learning
thrown in!) Misbehavior many times is a cry for attention - be it negative
or positive, they will take whatever they can get. If all they recieve is
negative attention, then they will work to get it. Take the negative
attention away, ignore them! But in turn, give them the opportunity to
pick up as much positive from you as they can. Eventually, they will grab
it.

Good luck!

Julie