Re: Behaviour Help

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rick (rlarson)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:11:09 -0500

Hi Lisa, I have made the kids that come in a rowdy way line up and I walk
them back to their room and make them line up in their room again and then I
tell them that I'm not taking them back until they're ready to show me they
are ready for art class. The classroom teacher is usually mortified. Also,
I have used a reward system of putting smiley faces into a box. If they
reach ten times of coming in the right way, then I bring a treat. Some
classes will work more for 5.times instead of 10. It is like the art
teacher's secret, though, we all know the the teachers that have lousey
classroom expectations, or the ones that put the kids down so much that they
don't care anymore. Sometimes I'll work on one kid at a time, after class,
telling them about their talent and how they should not be letting anyone
steal their education from them, etc. I try to lay it on pretty thick. This
has also worked. Praise for the good behavior will work. Try to find one
thing a day to praise them on and tell the classroom teacher that you're
doing this and maybe it'll catch on. As far as new teachers, I tell them, "
I can tell that you use a nice quiet voice with the kids, " and when they
ask how I knew. I tell them because the kids model that by being good
listeners. I've found that the quieter the teacher, the quieter the class.
If it's a loud class, I tell the teacher that little kids love a soft
voice. Sorry this is so long. betsy