RE: rain sticks....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:38:38 -0500

With a little prep work this is a great project for 2-4th grades. I have Jr.
Volunteers make the holes. The Jr. Volunteers also clip off the points of
the toothpicks. The students insert the toothpicks in the holes. They cover
the ends with newsprint held in place by rubber bands. I have several bowls
of rice and different size dried beans. The students experiment with
different mixtures, until they like the sound. They use thinned glue to
cover the tube with torn pieces of newsprint. For the final layer I add
different colors of crayola multicultural liquid paint to the glue and the
kids paint it on the tube. Then the tubes are allowed to dry.

Other subjects to coordinate with
Music - Rhythm instruments (Maybe show a video about the group Stomp)
Social Studies - Native Americans (Western US, but I'm unsure of the
particular Nation(s))

I've often heard these instruments referred to as African Rainsticks. There
may be a similar instrument in Africa, but this type of rainstick is modeled
on a Native American instrument. Cactus was dried, and the insides scraped
out. The thorns were pushed inside the cactus. Then one end was sealed and
seeds, rocks were added and the other end was sealed. Cactus does not grow
in Africa (outside of Hollywood movies), so another technique is probably
used to make a similar instrument.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator