clay- without a kiln

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Eliza Jones (ejones)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:57:11 -0400

Anyone know a good brand of self-hardening clay? I used some last spring,
but it took MONTHS to dry!
Eliza

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Sterner [SMTP:dsterner]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 5:56 PM
To: 'Eliza Jones'; 'Getty'
Subject: RE: punishment: maybe this can WOW them

I will offer one of my better clay activities: I use this with
older
elementary and high school. It is based on clay that is fired and
glazed,
but you can adapt to your materials:
I introduce the lesson on "HEROES...not just a big sandwich" The
students
will create a bust of a super hero - head to shoulders. Develop a
lesson
around the concept of a bust and what makes a super hero (physical
details
that might identify a hero)

Materials:
clay, utensils for scoring and digging, 1 burned-out lightbulb per
kid, some
cellophane to wrap the bulb and paints & brushes.

Procedure:
Shape some of the clay into a rectangular, solid shape - wide enough
for the
light bulb to be inserted. Wrap the lightbulb with cellophane and
carefully
insert to the top long side of the rectangle solid. Using small
patties of
clay, carefully cover all of the lightbulb - making sure the seams
are
closed and secure to the base and the coverage is uniform. By now
the bulb
is covered and resembles a human bust.

Holding the clay covered bulb, turn upside down and dig out the base
leave an even rim and exposing the base of the bulb. Turn back to
right
side up and cut at the widest part of the bulb all the way around
to remove
the top part of the dome of clay (I call this "brain surgery").
With the
light bulb exposed on both sides, push from the base to remove the
bulb and
reattach the dome using scoring tools. This part can get tricky as
you use
your hands from under as well as the out side to avoid collapsing.

From here the kids add or subtract to make eyes, mouth, ears, horns,
a cape
...you name it! I have had wonderful success with this lesson and
students
often request it!

-=deb=-