Re: Student art and photos on the web

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:32:12 -0500

There seems to be a wide range of approaches to putting students images,
art and names on the web. I am doing it and you are welcome to check it out.
My first suggestion is to get written permission from parents and guardians.
Some schools are only using first names. I use full names with art and
with photos.
But, I understand the concerns, there are weirdoes out there. So
definitely do not post
any personal information about students, such as addresses, likes and
dislikes, etc.
We had a fourth grade teachers who had students posting personal
journals. A well
meaning but misguided venture. I post to increase pride in what we are doing.
Just as you would in any exhibition of student work. I also use photos
of students
working to showcase the learning process, which I believe is more
important than
the products we produce.
I just posted a new lesson plan on "Drawing from Observation"
click on:
it includes examples of student work from this year.
Also I just updated my "Artist of the Week" lessons adding new student
drawings from their Art Notebooks, click on: (Lesson in General) (Elective) (7th Grade) (6th Grade)
I find it exciting to pull up work by students from all over the country/world
to view any time we wish. This type of collaboration has just begun to
be tapped.
Woody in KC

Stubbyno2 wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I was just wondering who out there might have experience in putting artwork
> on The Web. I'm not so much looking for technical advice, but rather for
> do's and don'ts about posting head shots of the kids, names, etc. This is
> high school, by the way. My original thought was to have a head shot of the
> student, his or her name, a hyper-texted title of the piece, and a blurb
> about the piece. You could click on they hypertext and go to the image...
> Any "I've learned from experience" type of advice would certainly be
> appreciated. I'd love to take a gander at anyone's page, so please feel free
> to forward.
> PLEASE (also) RESPOND DIRECTLY TO ME if you can!! I don't always get
> through all
> the postings here!
> Hi to all those I haven't "seen" in a while...
> Duffy Franco
> Norwalk High School
> Norwalk, CT

the new URL for school is