Re: Punishment

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:09:25 -0400

I just remembered something I did my first year teaching (subbing actually)
in H.S. -- there were a group of 5 or 6 boys -- 9th grade, who loved to
test limits. Everyone knew any of the 6 was capable of doing disruptive
things. A few days in a row there were problems with flying paper
airplanes -- of course only when I had my back turned. Never saw which one
did it. Well I met with them outside of class time and told them that if
one person did something disruptive that they would _all_ have to serve
detention. Of course I heard a lot of "that's not fair" and "you can't do
that" but all it took was one incident and they pretty much straightened
up. Don't know if this would work for Jill because this is a far cry from
inner-city Chicago....
Liz in rural NY