RE: punishment: maybe this can WOW them

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D. Sterner (dsterner)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:55:33 -0400

I will offer one of my better clay activities: I use this with older
elementary and high school. It is based on clay that is fired and glazed,
but you can adapt to your materials:
I introduce the lesson on "HEROES...not just a big sandwich" The students
will create a bust of a super hero - head to shoulders. Develop a lesson
around the concept of a bust and what makes a super hero (physical details
that might identify a hero)

Materials:
clay, utensils for scoring and digging, 1 burned-out lightbulb per kid, some
cellophane to wrap the bulb and paints & brushes.

Procedure:
Shape some of the clay into a rectangular, solid shape - wide enough for the
light bulb to be inserted. Wrap the lightbulb with cellophane and carefully
insert to the top long side of the rectangle solid. Using small patties of
clay, carefully cover all of the lightbulb - making sure the seams are
closed and secure to the base and the coverage is uniform. By now the bulb
is covered and resembles a human bust.

Holding the clay covered bulb, turn upside down and dig out the base to
leave an even rim and exposing the base of the bulb. Turn back to right
side up and cut at the widest part of the bulb all the way around to remove
the top part of the dome of clay (I call this "brain surgery"). With the
light bulb exposed on both sides, push from the base to remove the bulb and
reattach the dome using scoring tools. This part can get tricky as you use
your hands from under as well as the out side to avoid collapsing.

...you name it! I have had wonderful success with this lesson and students
often request it!

-=deb=-