RE: punishment

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Eliza Jones (ejones)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:11:23 -0400

Jill,
I too have had success holding something "fun" as a privilege to be earned
by good behavior. Telling classes that an orderly, focussed environment is
necessary for using tools such as X-acto knives, materials like clay, etc.
has motivated a lot of my students, esp the older ones, to demonstrate
appropriate behavior.
Good luck!
Eliza

-----Original Message-----
From: Teri Sanford [SMTP:terily]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 8:38 AM
To: BluesTruth; art list
Subject: re: punishment

Jill,
How about a clay activity. Really let them have fun, but make
sure they follow your guidelines (including behavior). It's a
real motivator when they lose something they KNOW is fun. Then
you can hold it over their heads all year ("if you want to do
clay again..."). Also, the ones who are causing trouble can be
removed from the project and do a research paper on the history
of (whatever, related to clay, like Greek pottery or something).

Good luck!
I had a 6th grade like this last year. I nearly quit,
actually. But I knew it would soon pass, and since 6th is my
highest level, I will NEVER have to see those rude boys again!!

teri