Re: Punishment!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:35:31 -0400

BluesTruth wrote:

> Dear Friends:
> How do you feel about certain real, out of control classes that can't handle
> art, (fighting, yelling, profanities,etc.) and the teacher has given
> up--well; you get the idea...I was thinking of giving them written work
> instead of hands on art projects.. Has any of you ever done this? I really
> despise doing this, but some of my classes are really HORRID (8th grade
> especially). There are a few good kids that I feel real sorry for. I just
> don't think the bad ones deserve art.
> What would YOU do if you were ME?!?!
> Thanks in advance-it means a lot!!
> Bluestruth

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to this question as i am only
beginning my student teaching experience, but I would also like to get
some feedback on a situation like this. Is it basically one student
that's the instigator,because I'm sure if that was the case the
situation could be more easily handled. Have you tried talking to them
to see what the problem is (I'm sure you have)? Are they classsified
students? Do they see a counselor at school? Does talking with their
parent(s) or guardian help?

I've worked a little bit in an inner city school environment with middle
schoolers, but was lucky enough not to run into major problems.

Ricki