RE: Taking students to Italy??

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:49:19 -0500

In High School I went to Greece my junior year, and Scotland/England my
senior year as part of or Dance Team. I remember being so embarrassed by a
chaperone who complained loudly that the people of Greece were "uncivilized"
because they did not speak English. My advice is to know your chaperones and
avoid the Ugly American versions if you can.

Europe through the Backdoor is a great general travel book. Rick Steves also
has a book about museums in Europe with detailed information. He has a web
site http://www.ricksteves.com/

When you find a travel agency, ask them about open jaws travel. You fly
into city A travel for two weeks and fly out of city B. It is roundtrip
ticket (1/2 a round trip fare from home to A, 1/2 a round trip ticket from
B to Home), not two one way tickets that cost more. The real advantage is
don't waste time going back to your starting point in Europe.

If you know who is going they should get their Passports now
http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html not wait till after Christmas
, when people are applying for summer trips.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Sharon Barrett
Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 2:59 PM
To: Artsednet
Subject: Taking students to Italy??

Hi--

I mentioned, almost as wishful thinking today, that I'd love to take some of
my students to Italy (particularly Florence and Rome) on a Renaissance art
tour. To my surprise, the administration said it sounded like a wonderful
idea and to check it out as a possibility over spring break!

I'd love to hear from other art teachers who've actually done such a thing
to get info on the best tour companies to check out, learn of your
experiences (the pros and cons), etc., etc.

Please email me at sharonbk

Thanks!!

Sharon