Re: Greece, Rome and Israel

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:14:37 -0400

Fields, Linda wrote:

> I have done mosaics with sixth grade-and high schoolers- by using
> "tesserae" cut from magazine pictures. Ignoring the pictures themselves,
> the kids need to look for varieties and gradations of the colors they
> need. I have them cut the pieces into small angular shapes which they
> then mount on black construction paper or poster board. They leave about
> 1/16 " in between pieces. When all is dry, I mount them on cardboard and
> coat them with acrylic medium. The magazine colors provide a broad range
> of color and do not fade as readily as construction paper. Linda in NC
>
> > ----------

Check out this web-site regarding the magazine mozaics. I'm using it
for a Graphic Design unit where we're exploring package design. My
students will create mosaics from cardboard packages. We will first
discuss the design elements of the packages, whether they are effective
overall, etc. and then create new images from them. The basic idea
originated from someone here on the list, so i took it a few steps
further. This web-site also works really well for the magazine mosaic
idea (in fact probably better).

It's called the Runaway Technology gallery
http://www.photomosaic.com/gallery.htm

It is so cool!
Ricki