RE: brushes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D. Sterner (dsterner)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:30:35 -0400

I save the brushes that the students did not care for and the moment a
student appears to be abusive with a brush I offer the trashed
brushes...since they are garbage and I don't want them anyway. The class
stops and the student has to exchange the good brushes for the ugly, bent,
old selection. The kids get the hint - but they are still required to use
the old brushes for an activity and tell the class what it was like and then
they admit the preference for the good brushes.

The students gain respect for good art materials when they realize the
difference. So far it has worked for me.
-=deb=-
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu]On Behalf Of Lynda Brothers
Matthew
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 8:04 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: brushes

Hi Everyone,

I am getting so tired of brushes miss handled, not cleaned, etc. by the
kids that I am thinking of doing a class on the making and the history of
the brush for grades 3-5. Does anyone know of any resources for this or
have you done anything simular for elementary grades? I'm hoping that if
they know more about brushes they might have more respect and a lighter
hand when using one. I have decided to use sumi brushes this year as well.

Thanks,
Lynda

  • Reply: Wizzlewolf: "Re: RE: brushes"