RE: lessons on artists from states

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D. Sterner (dsterner)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:41:23 -0400

I am from Buffalo, New York and I can contribute watercolor artist Charles
Birchfield. I have tried lessons on water color technique with behavioral
and learning disorder students as Birchfield favored weather conditions in
many paintings - but the angle I like best is defining "Pattern" as he
worked for a wallpaper company in Buffalo. The pattern approach puts good
use to all those wallpaper sample books that are available for F R E E.

I look forward to the results of this effort. It is a great idea!

Also: Photographer, Cindy Sherman studied art in Buffalo and was one of the
founders of Hallwalls.

P L U S: It's great to get away from all the "Dead European White Guys"
-=deb=-

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu]On Behalf Of Betty Bowen
Sent: Friday, September 17, 1999 12:57 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re:lessons on artists

>Wouldn't it be wonderful if other states would honor their contemporary
artists by designing lesson plans >around their work.

>I think this is a great idea and maybe some people from the list can get
>together, in all of our spare time (because we all have so much), and
>compile a list of 1 artist from each state whose work we have chosen. A
>lesson plan based upon that artist's work can then be written, and all
>the information can be compiled into a contemporary art education book.
>I'm in.
>Ricki in NJ
>I can use Barbara Kruger who was born in Newark

Ok, Ricki, Count me in. So, what parameters should we use for choosing
artists to represent our states? Somebody who still lives and works there to
show the kids It Can Be Done and so it's not all "born there but now lives
in New York?" (of course that's different for someplace so close as NJ) All
women? Nationally famous or do we care? (I don't) Or an assortment of media
so we don't end up with all word-artists or all painters or (sigh) all art
professors? There are so many artists to choose from.

Betty (in OK)