Re: information explaining about my TMH kids

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:23:57 -0400

Lon Nuell wrote:

> That part of this message wherein the teachers requests that the lessons be
> "age appropriate" makes me wonder what the teacher actually means. We all
> know that mental age for the TMH person will set the direction for grade
> appropriate lessons- that is if the "IQ" is tht of a six year old the lesson
> will be designed for a six year old. If the teacher means that lessons should
> be directed to the chronological age, then something is seriously wrong in
> that situation.
>
> What precisely does the teacher mean by his/her request? Good programs can
> be developed (see the NJ guide for Art in Special Ed) for children in this
> situation which are directed to their mental and physical skill levels.

This is my feeling exactly! I was thinking similar thoughts> one
would have to have the lesson at their intellectual age. Of course
making it interesting and process but to expect them to adhere to
what a normal intelligence of 14 or 15 is, and be able to
successfully achieve the goals would be very short sighted.
Frustrating and setting up for failure that they probably wouldn't
realize either. If they do realize that it's a failure that would be
demeaning. Talk more with this teacher and set the goals at age
appropriate for their development.

Sandra Barrick

astroboy