Art Careers Text--Make Your Own?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:24:47 +0000

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:58:40 -0400
> From: "Sharon Barrett Kennedy" <sharonbk>
> Subject: Books on art careers?
>
> During January, our school has what's known as "J-term," during which
> students take one major course and one minor course. The major course meets
> something like 3-1/2 hours per day; the minor about an hour and a half (I
> think).
>
> For my J-term class I'd proposed a course called "Exploring Careers in Art."
> I know lots of people who work in various art fields (graphic design,
> computer graphics, web design, medical illustration, art therapy,
> architechtural rendering, etc., etc.) and I thought it would be interesting
> to have these folks come in as guest speakers. The students would be
> responsible for asking questions of the speakers and would write up what
> they learned. They would also have to research at least one field or branch
> of work in the arts, in depth, and also produce artwork typical of that
> style. During the last week, they would give presentations of their career
> and artwork typical of that career. The course would include about 4
> different field trips, too.
>
> Sounded good to me, but here's the deal--the powers that be feel this course
> is not quite "academic" enough and they want me to come up with ways to be
> sure that students would have quite a bit of homework each night (given that
> the rest of the students on campus will be doing homework and since this is
> an accredited course).
>
> Can anyone suggest a text that could be assigned to supplement a course like
> this OR come up with another way to make this more academic in nature? I
> need to rewrite the proposal by Tuesday, or come up with something else,
> entirely....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sharon
Dear Sharon,
I put together a thick binder of articles for my students about artists
and their work life from clippings from the Los Angeles Times. I would
guess that the web site has a archive section and you could download and
print these articles and put them together in a folder for each
student.(We can still copy things for classroom use--I think??). You
could have students do the research.
Hope this is helpful--I'm sure other newspaper archives will give you
even more material.This could be the homework assignment for those who
have net access and the others can go to the public library to use the net.
Teri Brudnak
Corona del Mar High School Art Dept.
Newport Beach, Calif.

  • Reply: George Martin Rex: "Re: recycling clay"