Re: runaway kid

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:34:17 -0400

Teri wrote:
>Now I have kids who are problems EVERYWHERE else in school
>except art. They will even come to school sick if it is an art
>day. And I am not the "nice" teacher; I have super high
>expectations for behavior as well as art. They just really
>respond to limits and repetition. They know what to expect from
>me and they like the structure of my class. Even though the
>projects aren't so "structured," my classroom setting is.

Linda Kelty wrote:
This reminds me of something one of my college professors used to say. He
also carved it in slate and did it in calligraphic manuscripts. I try to
live by it.
"Art is not freedom from discipline, but disciplined freedom." by the Rev.
Edward M. Catich

One truly incredible man. His influence on his students is still strongly
felt today.