Re: Those Who Finish Early?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:02:01 -0500

Hi, I thought of some suggestions for your problem.

First of all, make sure that you are the one deciding that they are
finished. I tell mine that you're not finished until I think you're
finished. If there is nothing they can do to improve the assignment, then
I would recommend an alternate assignment rather than continuing on.

You didn't say what the current assignment is but, often it is possible to
think of an extension or enrichment that goes along with the project.

If you have a computer in your room, this would be a good chance for those
students to experiment with graphics or search the web for
images/information relating to the lesson.

You could use these students as helpers. Have them working on something
you would like to do but never have time for, such as cutting out magazine
pictures that can be used at a later date; do the bulletin board, organize
or inventory supplies.

Art related games would be good or you could have them create one.

In my experience, high school kids are less of a problem when finished
early than middle school kids. Most of my hs kids are happy just sitting
there, doing homework, playing cards, or sleeping. Of course, these are
not activities I encourage but, sometimes I can't think of anything else.

If you don't think the work is really finished to your satisfaction but,
you're having a hard time getting them to improve it, suggest an unpleasant
assignment to do when finished--maybe cleaning out disgusting stuff or
doing written work.

Another idea is to create an ongoing project that they only work on when
their regular assignment is done. Creating their own comic strip character
and drawing an episode would work for this. Later, they could add more
episodes.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck tomorrow.

Jasmine
jdp30