Re:a massive quantity of crepe paper

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michal Austin (whest177)
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:04:50 -0500

Oh, lucky you! One of my favorite 5th grade lessons is with crepe paper,

but I
usually have to ask the students to bring some from home. About three
class
periods, I ask any students who have a hand held mixer that their
parents
won't
mind us using to bring them to school. I remind them the next two
lessons,
being
very mysterious about what we're going to do with them, other than to
assure the
students it won't harm the mixers. I have purchased a couple mixers at
yard
sales, so I end up with 4 or 5 on the big day. Put one beater in the
mixer,
tie
the streamer to one end. I have three students per mixer working at one
time, and
they rotate "jobs". One job is to hold the mixer, one to move up and
down
the
paper as it twists, ensuring that it twists evenly, and one student
holding
the
far end. You can do about 10' at a time. We spend two class periods
making
these
paper ropes - the students love it! Then I take tagboard and have the
students
design a mask. We layer the paper rope on, much as you would yarn. The
results
are stunning! If you need further clarification, let me know! Please
pass
on any
neat ideas you receive!
Michal