RE: pre-k and k in art museums

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:42:08 -0500

We just did a neat activity with some PK for our current exhibit. Before
talking about the colors in the paintings, we handed out markers that had
unique names. Then we put out construction paper squares, and the kids went
and stood by the square that "matched". Next the adults helped us read the
names off the markers. Since the names on the markers are different that the
red, yellow, blue, green, orange, purple kids are used to, they were exposed
to new names. Then we started naming the colors in the paintings, some used
regular names, others said pajama red (don't know why that happens in so
many classes). The most important thing with EC is to give them time to move
around. We also did a treasure hunt that worked out very well.

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Pamela Hill
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 2:13 PM
To: museum-ed; museum-l.com;
artsednet.edu
Subject: pre-k and k in art museums

Apologies for cross-postings

I am offering an introductory workshop on museums in education to the
students in the school of education at the university my museum is
affiliated with. We are a museum of contemporary art, but I plan on
introducing museums in general and the programs and resources they
offer.

However, I also want to offer some participatory activities in the
galleries for these students. Unexpectedly, most of the students who
have signed up for the workshops are studying early childhood education
and planning to teach pre-k and kindergarten. This is the age group we
work with less often than any other!

Can you offer some suggestions on activities to do with modern and
contemporary art (that take less than an hour) that will help me convey
the great things that can happen when young children visit museums of
any type?

Thank you,

Pam Hill
Curator of Education
Weatherspoon Art Gallery, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
pkhill