RE: teaching math through art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:00:09 -0400

You could do an Amish Quilt, Victor Vasserly type of color study to
reinforce equivalent fractions. Actually, you could use squares (with half
squares or triangles...), rectangles, or circles.
You could have construction paper pieces - congruent shapes - they pick two
colors, cut them up.... - you could introduce a way to show the fractional
part (how could you show 1/3?) use the colors as complementaries... trading
off before cutting... If you use rectangles - se if the teacher has any
Quissenaire(sp) rods - if she teaches math she'll know what they are - they
could try their quilt using manipulatives before paper.
This doesn't read well - I could fool around tonight and try one - scan or
use the digital camera - send to you -
let me know.

See if any of Ed Emberly's books can help...
Ellen