Re: ON VISUAL LITERACY

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lon Nuell (lrnuell)
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:28:42 -0500

Bob, et al:

While it is absolutely true that artmaking is a non-verbal discipline (or at
least has ended up that way), it is equally true that there is an accepted
body of knowledge related to art that is non-physical and which can be talked
about..........and evaluated once it becomes a part of the student's
knowledge/comprehesnion base.

Adherents of "visual literacy" (see the International Visual Literacy
Association) have known for years the primacy of the visual, but acknowledge
the importance of the verbal to enhance understanding. If we cannot talk
about what we see (based on what we have come to understand) then I'm not so
sure that we are educated- or have educated.

So, art teacing should be a discipline oriented to both the purely visual and
the verbal..........