Re: VISUAL ARTS CURRICULUM

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 17:21:13 -0500

We teach reading and writing in and through art in Kansas City also.
We also have a number of ESL students at our school. An art class can
be a real
haven for them as they are learning a new language. I believe the ESL
teacher
told me that 12 students tested as totally non-English this year. Two
boys spent
the first 7 years in Bosnia and the 7 years in Germany. They are very intelligent
and are bilingual but know very little english. Our system is basically
to teach
the new language the way Kids were taught to swim when I was young. You
take them out in a boat and throw them in, they learn quickly this way.
In art
we are much more able to adjust the curriculum to fit their needs than
in science
or Social studies. These students seem to excel in art and math where
there are
ways around language barriers. I have an autistic student in my
advanced art
class. This is her third year with me. I set high standards for her,
but I don't
expect to test her in reading and writing. My major objective is to
wean her
away from dependence upon a para to be with her every day. Daily we adjust
our expectations to fit the needs of each student. This is the way it
should be.
Woody in KC

--
the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04