Re: tile murals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
LynnMarie Paris (paris)
Sat, 04 Sep 1999 00:07:57 -0400

Hi Marianna,

I think I MAY have a great book for you to get. It is called "Hand Made
Tiles" by Frank Giorgini. He is an amazing and wonderful artist who it tiling
an entire supway stop in NYCity. He also makes clay drums called Udu drums:
owned by such musicians as Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead, Sting's band,
Whitney Hustons Band and the list goes on.

I was fortunate enough to work with him this past May and June with an Udu
Drum, Artist in Residence grant. My students made drums with him and he
brought in 5 professional musicians for a improvisational concert with the
students. I am considering trying to work up a grant proposal for clay tiles
and have him come in for that.

If anyone has questions about any of this, books, drums, artist
residency....PLEASE ask me. I get soooo excited talking about it!
Also...check out his book on line and do a search for Udu Drums...guaranteed
you will come across his name. He was the first to make them in USA as far as
I know. He went to Africa and learned how from the native Nigerians and asked
their blessing to create and sell them.

Good luck with your project!

LynnMarie