[Fwd: ethan.htm]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
dj (djash)
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:10:48 -0400

--------------A296764816C8118643BED4E7

Please forgive the long note, but I lost the email address from the
person who first posted about the ethan virus. Here's some information
about this virous.

Donna

--------------A296764816C8118643BED4E7

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:43:23 -0400
From: "IBM OS/2 SENDMAIL VERSION 2.03" <os2user>
To: djash
Subject: ethan.htm

F-Secure [header_grayfade.gif] Data Fellows
Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security

[leftbarlogo.gif]
[2]> Corporate Info
[3]> News
[4]> Products
[5]> Support Center
[6]> Virus & Security Info
[7]Virus News
[8]Hoax Warnings
[9]Virus Screenshots
[10]Update Bulletins
[11]Happy Feedback :-)
[12]> Download & Purchase
[13]> Partners Program
[14]> Jobs @ Datafellows
Quick Search
[leftbar_button_quicksearch_left.gif] [dummy.gif]
________ GO!
Quick Search

[15][whatsnew.gif]

[dummy.gif] [dummy.gif]
[dummy.gif] [dummy.gif] [dummy.gif]
[dummy.gif] [16][headerbutton_sitemap.gif]
[17][headerbutton_contactus.gif]

F-Secure Virus Information Pages
[left_subbuttonbg.gif]

[18]NAME: Ethan
[19]ALIAS: Ethana

W97M/Ethan is a Word macro virus that replicates under Word 97. It was
found in the wild in Northern Europe in January 1999.

Ethan is a simple macro virus, consisting of a single macro less than
50 lines long. It infects Word's NORMAL.DOT template and documents by
prepending it's code to a module in the document.

To spread, the virus generates a file with the name "c:\ethan.___".
This file alone is harmless and can be deleted after the disinfection.
The file is listed as a hidden system file.

W97M/Ethan activates by random. Whenever a document is opened, there
is a 3-in-10 chance that the virus will change the document's
properties. If this happens, the virus changes the title of the
document to "Ethan Frome", Author to "EW/LN/CB" and company to "Foo
Bar Industries Inc.".

"Ethan Frome" is a book written by Edith Wharton in 1911. It was also
released as a movie in 1993, with Liam Neeson playing Ethan Frome.

In addition, W97M/Ethan checks if the machine is already infected with
the W97M/Class virus and if so, it delete the class.sys file that
W97M/Class uses to replicate.

[20]VARIANT: Ethan.D
[21]ALIAS: y2k

W97M/Ethan.D is a modified variant of W97M/Ethan.A.

The name of the temporary file that virus creates is changed. It is
"c:\sys00.bak".

The payload is also different. Instead of changing the summary
information, this variant displays message boxes on specified days
during 1999. Every of these messages is displayed only after 12:00.

At April 1st, the message is as follows:

This is not an April fools joke. I wish it were! The year 2000 is
fast approaching, and the word still needs to be spread about the
implications and dangers of the millennium bug commonly referred
to as the Y2K bug. The virus that has infected this word document
was written to help spread the word about the Y2K bug, and educate
you so you can prepare yourself and your family for Saturday
January 1, 2000.

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At May 3rd, the message text is:

Lets start our first lesson to help prepare you for the millennium
bug. Although I don't personally believe there will be food
shortages, power shortages, gas shortages as a result of a
computer bug, there will be food, power and gas shortages by
hoarding nitwits that fear the millennium bug. As a result, I
highly recommend that you begin to stockpile bottled water
(1-month supply), canned food (1-month supply), and as much gas as
you can store (keep your vehicle gas tank always topped up
starting December 1st).

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At June 1st, the message is:

Right now it's pretty warm out, so you are probably not thinking
much about the winter. But remember the millennium bug is expected
to hit in the middle of winter. If you're in a northern climate,
like the Great White North (Canada), I suggest you consider
purchasing a good airtight wood stove, and at least a face cord of
wood. Even if there are no disruptions in natural gas, or oil, or
electricity, the wood stove is a great way of reducing your
heating bills. And if there is a problem, you will be comfortable
in your own heated home, unlike your unprepared neighbors
(remember the Canadian ice storm last year!)

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At the message of July 2nd is:

Last month I recommend purchasing a gas stove to help heat your
home in the event that your supply of electricity, gas, or oil was
interrupted. This month I would like to suggest that you purchase
a portable generator and enough gas cans to store gas to power the
generator. The generator can be used to power lighting and small
electrical appliances should the power be disrupted.

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At August 2nd the message is:

In this installment, I would like to suggest that you consider
purchasing candles, matches, flashlights, and batteries. These
items will be invaluable during those cold, dark nights should the
power companies fail in their Y2K conversion. Don't plan on
relying on the banks or credit/debit cards. Start each month, and
stash away enough money to last you at least 2 months. This money
should include enough money to pay the rent/mortgage, utilities,
FOOD, etc. Remember cold hard cash is accept EVERYWHERE.

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At September 1st the message is:

The millennium 's not far away
Get onto your coding today
Fix it or fudge it
The boss won't begrudge it
If everything works on the day!

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At October 1st the message is:

Getting nervous? If you've followed my advice over the past
months, there should be nothing for you to worry about. We will
survive the Y2K bug, but preparation will insure that if there is
any Y2K crisis, it will only be small bump on the road, not a
major pothole for you.

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

At November 1st, the message is:

Personally, I don't believe that there will be a major, global Y2K
crisis. I trust the banks with my money, I trust MOST of the
industrial sector, and I trust the power and water agencies to
provide me with power and water over the "infamous" weekend. I
even trust the Russians and there nuclear arms! BUT you can never
be too careful. Take care. Be prepared. Use common sense.

That 's it for this month. See you next month!

And finally, December 1st the message is:

Well, this will be the final installment in the Y2K preparation
lessons. If you have followed my advice over the past few months,
you will be in excellent shape to bring in the New Year. May the
New Year bring you health and happiness. Best wishes.

Bye!

This variant does not remove "c:\class.sys" file used by W97M/Class
virus.

[22]VARIANT: Ethan.AD

This variant uses temporary file "c:\grover.___", and when a new
document is created the virus inserts the following text into the new
document:

!MOSH to Super Grover!

[23]VARIANT: Ethan.AE

This variant is similar with W97M/Ethan.AD, but it the text it inserts
has been changed to:

Super Grover

[Analysis: Katrin Tocheva and Sami Rautiainen, Data Fellows]

[24]F-Secure framework - The new World of Security

Mirror sites: [25]Europe [26]USA [27][footer_disclamer.gif]
[footer_blanc.gif] [28]Back to the top