Re: This is why I keep telling them I AM NOT a computer expert

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
GTBlack
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:12:41 EDT

Here's what I'd check.

1. Download the most current version of McAfee from their website. The most
current version is always being updated. If you have an older version, it
won't pick up a new strain of virus. If the software is a couple of months
old it may not be effective.
2. Perhaps the computer was reinfected. An infected file could have been
transmitted through a diskette, from an email attachment, from a file on
another computer on the network. The most current version should be run on
all the computers at your facility.
3. Perhaps it is a new strain (low probability). Send a copy to McAfee and
tell them their most current version is not curing it. If it is a new
strain, they'll write the code to fix it and post it to their website.
4. I'd do a search on yahoo or somewhere for ''ethan and virus" to see what
has been written about it.

Geoff Black

ps- don't forget to add to our body of knowledge by letting us know how you
fix it